Dream Worlds Are Born

Bloody Rose by Nicholas Eames: Chapter 16 - 26

:bear::wolf:

Tam slept poorly that night, for several reasons. Timber’s snoring rivalled Brune’s for sheer volume and sounded like two porcupines fighting to the death inside a hollow log.

Eames, Nicholas. Bloody Rose (The Band) . Orbit. Kindle Edition.

Oh god, I wouldn’t be able to sleep either.

Brune pulled the stopper from his waterskin and drank deep. “Anyway, the fain is our true nature. It allows us to transform into whatever animal we identify with the most. My father wouldn’t teach me to find mine, and when I sought help from the others, he accused me of plotting to overthrow him. He couldn’t challenge me directly—I had no power to speak of, and it would have made him appear weak—so he exiled me instead, and promised to kill me if I ever returned.”

Poor Brune :frowning:

“She stuck around long enough to see me whelped, but after that …” Brune sighed, and seemed somehow diminished for it. “Not everyone loves their children, I guess.”

My heart hurts so much right now

Freecloud shifted uncomfortably, his ears drooping like flowers dead of thirst. It occurred to Tam that he and Rose had left their own daughter behind.

Thats not really the same. Shes with someone who loves her, they visit her, they talk to her.

Chapter 21 was so hard to read :sob:

Brune chewed it over a moment. “Of course,” he said eventually. “That’s what you’re here for, right?” And then, after a while, he asked, “What will you call it?” “I don’t know.” She hadn’t given it any thought as of yet. “The Howling of the Sky?” A wince. “Nope.” “Brune and the Big Red Bear?” “Ha. Terrible.” She deliberated a moment. “How about Shadow of the Wolf.” The shaman smiled. “That’ll do,” he said.

I like the name they settled on

She thought about Ardburg—farther away now than it had ever been—and had a sudden yearning to be back in her old bed, to hear her father’s voice beyond the bedroom door as Threnody’s tail tickled her face. She cried for a while, because she was young, and lonely, and terrified of the future.

It probably makes the pain worse she can never go home to visit. I mean, I’m sure her dad wouldn’t force her to hold to not coming back but I think she’ll stay away like he wants