Story 547 ~ Mae And Lincoln

Mae put the key in the lock and turned it jiggling it slightly, being told my the owners that the old thing could be quite finicky. The door opened and she kicked the box of belongings inside with a smile on her face. This was going to be the prefect place to set up her law firm.

Lincoln was running down the street with police cars whirling after him sirens blaring. He ducked into an alleyway to catch his breath,trying to remember what it was that happened last night but the only thing that came into his mind was the ripped up body that he woke up beside in the mountains.

Mae proudly hung her diploma on the wall and decided it was time to take a break and go to the coffee shop down the street. Just as she gathered her purse and keys back up she heard footsteps outside the door,she opened it and looked at the blood soaked man standing there. “I need some help…people are after me…” the man said. “Well if you need legal help which it appears you just might be looking for come inside” Mae replied stepping out of the doorway of her office.

Lincoln hurried in, hoping she could help him. It seemed nothing could stop these shifts but maybe she could help people understand he truly had no control over what happened during them. Better yet maybe she had connections with people that could help contain him during the nights his wolf took over. She had him take a seat and she took her own in front of him “first off, why are you covered in blood?”

“I’m not sure what happened…I can’t remember…I just woke up next to a dead body and now the police are after me”

“were you drunk?”

“No…I’m a werewolf…the kind that can’t control themselves during a shift. I also dont retain memories from when I shift” She sighed, this was quite a case for her first real one. She had expected to start with something much smaller but she’d take it anyway “alright but you’re going to have to answer a lot more questions and we’re going to have to talk to police as well. I wont lose my license for harboring a criminal but I promise you we’ll get this figured out”

Prison terrified him but he’d end up there anyway at this rate so he agreed to talk to her and let the police come. When they arrived at her office she let them know she was his lawyer and reminded Lincoln not to answer questions unless she told him it was okay. He had already given her all the information needed and she wanted to choose what they knew until she figured out what to do for this man.

“Why don’t you go over what happened last night Mr. Storm.” The officer across from them asked and Lincoln looked at Mae who nodded.

“My memory is spotty at best. I remember I was looking for someone. I don’t know why I was out on a full moon night or what I was doing on that mountain. Maybe I was working.”

“Working?”

“My client chases demons.” Mae answered.

“And do you think the victim may have been a demon?”

“I don’t know. My senses get a little overloaded when I wake up, it’s like a shock to the system. I was dazed.”

“You saw the body, is that correct?”

“It was about a foot from me.”

“It was torn apart, claw marks, teeth marks.”

“You don’t know if my client did it.”

“With all do respect ma’am, he’s a werewolf, an out of control werewolf.”

“Who chases demons.”

“I’d give you a card if I could find my wallet.” Lincoln said then shut his mouth when Mae gave him a look.

She leaned forward, feeling her heart stutter a little. “He could have been hunting and come across that body, the victim could have been a demon who attacked him first, or it could have even been a set up.”

“He’s covered in blood.”

“Which you haven’t determined the source of. It could be his for all you know.”

The officer had hoped this would be easy since Ms Mae Anderson was a new face but it was seeming she had done well in school and was going to be one of the larger thorns in the police departments side when it came to cases but he respected good lawyers so while it was a little frustrating the officer welcomed the challenge of convicting this man while dealing with an obviously intelligent lawyer. “I suppose you’re right. We will just need a sample of the blood. I imagine you’ll let him cooperate”

“yes, you can take your sample” She was going over ideas on how to approach this no matter what the results turned up. “Thank you”

“I expect to know those results right away”

“Of course” The officer shot her an obviously flirtatious smile and Lincoln had to hold back a growl. He was shocked at himself, hopeing that wasn’t a sign he was the monster he expected himself of being. He was at least glad he caught it before the cop heard him and had more reason to think the worst.

“And I would appreciate if you would lend my client a sweat suit. I’m sure you’ll want his clothes as evidence and he needs a shower.”

“Sure.”

The officer left and Mae sighed, leaning back. “Asshole, he’s lucky I don’t have a reputation yet or I’d have slapped him.”

“He likes you.”

She huffed. “Are you alright?”

“No, you’d think I’d be used to this, but what if…”

“Don’t say anything else. Someone could be listening from the other side of the glass or something. We’ll talk once we’re out of here.”

“What if they put me in a holding cell?”

“They don’t have any proof it was you, only that you found the body. You running was stupid, but understandable.” She lowered her voice. “To be honest if I woke up next to a corpse I’d be screaming and running.”

It truly felt like this woman was on his side and it helped him not be quite so panicky about everything. She believed in him and for whatever reason that meant the world to Lincoln. They were released about an hour later and Mae asked “where do you live?”

“I suppose in a hotel for awhile so they don’t think I’m fleeing. I chased this last demon a long way”

“I’ll drive you to a good one, the one i recommend when family or friends don’t want to stay with me” Mae drove Lincoln to a nice hotel, helped him get a room then walked him to it. “I have the number to your rooms phone. If you remember anything at all or just need to talk to me please call. Don’t let the cops talk to you without me as well” He nodded and she asked “do you need anything else before I go home?”

“No, thank you”

“I guess my first case may as well be big and I know people aren’t always what they seem but you hardly seem like some crazy murderer. I’ll make sure you get more clothes too. You’ll need some nice things to wear. It shouldn’t affect anything but how you look does make things easier or harder”

“when will you come back?”

“tomorrow, we can talk more over breakfast about your life and the information you have on this demon” She waited until he was in his room to leave, going straight to a nearby clothing thrift store that always had nice clothes. She had gotten a lot of her own clothes from there.

Lincoln tried to stay awake and rack his brain for answers. He hated he couldn’t remember, hated that the memories were always so disjointed. His mind and body were so exhausted from everything, from the forced change, from the stress of thinking he may have hurt someone. He knew he had been hunting, but what had happened after the change. Had the wolf tried tracking his prey or had it found someone else wandering through the woods. He sighed as he switched on the TV and laid down, his eyes growing heavy.

Images flashed through his mind, broken into tiny, confusing bits. The smell of blood and cologne filled his nose. The flash of a grin. Screams brought sweat to his brow. He jerked away, panting, the smell still in his nose. He glanced at the clock sitting on the table next to him and saw it was three a.m. He let out a breath and draped an arm across his eyes. His wolf whined as if telling him he was missing something and it took him a moment to realize he could still smell that scent. His wolf nose had locked onto everything that night, not that it mattered, it didn’t mean he could find whoever had been out there.

The next thing he knew Mae was knocking, he must have fallen back asleep thinking. She held out two bags of clothes "they were having a sale and I went kind of crazy. "

“I’ll find something and quickly change”

“you don’t have to rush, I have nothing else to do. You’re my only client” He hurried anyway, putting on the first outfit he saw. “perfect” she said when he came out of the bathroom. “I didnt even tell you my size, I’m surprised”

“I’ve always had a good eye for peoples sizes. Men are particularly easy”

“How much do I owe you?”

“Not a penny, I got them at this clothing thrift store I like. It’s no big dea. What do you like to eat for breakfast?” she said quickly “is there a waffle house close?”

“sure is”

“can we talk there?”

“if you’re worried we can pick up food and come back to this room. I mean you were hunting a demon so that may actually be wise”

“yeah, lets bring it back” They went to her car and soon arrived at Waffle House. It seemed busy but it was a breakfast place and it was breakfast time. “I already know what I want so just tell me when you know Lincoln”

“I’ll have what you’re having, I’m not picky. Shifting makes me ravenous so anything is fine.”

“You’re so easy.” She smiled and his heart skipped a beat.

“Well, I’d rather not give you anymore trouble than I already am. Not many people would so readily take in a possible nutcase covered in blood.”

She laughed. “You’re far from crazy, I can tell.”

“Really? How?”

“It was the look on your face when you ran into my office.”

“I could have been pretending.”

“True, but you weren’t. Your shock, confusion, and fear were so genuine I could practically feel them radiating off of you.” She shrugged. “Besides, if you had wanted to kill me then that would have been the perfect time. You’re actually a really good boy.”

He chuckled. “Dog jokes?”

“Sorry, I just couldn’t help myself. I’ll make that the last one, promise.”

His wolf wagged its tale, perking up. “I don’t mind.”

Mae seemed in good spirits as she ordered their food and drinks, double checking to make sure he liked orange juice “there are people who don’t like orange juice?” Lincoln asked as they walked out and she laughed “you never know, I’m sure there are” He held their to go plates in his lap and Mae set each of their cups in her cup holder before taking them back to the hotel. There was a small table in the room but only one chair "we could sit on the bed together " Mae suggested so Lincoln put their plates down and sat with her. “so, anything come up last night?”

“I had a nightmare about what happened but nothing was clear beyond the type of cologne”

“well thats useful, let me know if you smell it again”