Dream Worlds Are Born

Story 589: Kay & Shawn

She was beginning to think she needed to call her parents. Her fiance was getting stranger and stranger by the week. A couple months ago she had returned from work to find their home ransacked and her fiance, who should have been home, missing. She called the police but he showed up by himself a few days later. Haggard but not hospital bad off. She had still wanted him to get checked out but he refused, saying he just wanted to be home after everything he had been through.

Her biggest red flag was his story would change ever so sightly when he talked about what happened. That didn’t tend to happen with true stories. Sure, given time your memory would fail you but this was only months ago. Another red flag that was bothering her was sex. It was weird, different, like she was making love to a different person. He had had a life changing experience but she had never heard of one changing someone like that. Then there was the fact he could suddenly cook. He had tried here and there but his food was always inedible. Now his food was amazing.

All this and more was getting her to the point she wasn’t sure it was her husband who had come home. The only thing stopping her from calling her parents sooner was how much she loved him. If he was still him she couldn’t imagine how hurtful an accusation like that would be. He knew about her parents and her parents friends past, the crazy things her mother went through which had given her an open mind about the possibilities in the world but that probably wouldn’t lessen the sting for him.

She sat there holding her cell, debating calling her mother. If it was just trauma then she would feel bad, but what if something serious was going on? What if someone had done something horrible to him? She felt herself choking up in her frustration and she finally went to her mother’s number and called. “Kay?”

“Hey mom, I need to talk to you.”

“Is everything alright?”

“I don’t know.”

“What’s wrong honey?”

“It’s…it’s Shawn, he…” she swallowed, “there’s something going on and…” The front door opening and Shawn walking in startled her. “Hey, I’ll call you back.” She hung up before her mom could say anything else and stood when she saw Shawn clutching his head. “Shawn? Are you alright?”

He shook his head. “I had to leave work, my head started throbbing.” He kicked off his shoes, letting out a groan. “I don’t know…it feels like my head is being split open.” She helped him over to the couch.

“Let me get you a Tylenol.” She started to move away and he grabbed her hand.

“Just sit with me please.”

“Okay.” She dropped down next to him.

“Were you on the phone?”

“Yeah, talking to my mom.”

“Sorry.” He clutched his head tighter. “Maybe that Tylenol was a good idea.”

“I’ll be right back” she hurried off,thankful to find it in the bathroom cabinet where it was supposed to be. She may be worried he wasn’t himself but she had loved Shawn for years and she couldn’t stand the thought of him being in pain. Kay soon brought him the medicine and water. He took both gratefully then asked for her to sit with him again. She did, even rubbing his back to provide some sort of comfort. When he regained composure he hugged her and she wrapped her arms around him. “I love you so much Kay” He said those words with so much emotion she almost cried, hating how conflicted she was. Maybe she was wrong to question him but he was just so different. More had to of happened than he’s letting on or maybe he’s forgotten things.

Hannah had run outside to talk to Adam who was playing football with his friends. “what’s up?”

“Kay just gave me a really strange call about her husband. It was cut short, I’m worried”

“what do you want to do?”

“I just feel like we should go there. I know it’s two hours but I’m that worried about her. She sounded really upset”

“Go pack for us and I’ll say bye to the guys” he gave her a long kiss and they parted. She heard their cars leave as she packed and soon her husband was in the room with her “I’m sorry”

“You have nothing to worry about. They come over plenty”

“Its just if something wrong I dont want to wait until she’s already in some sort of danger…I wish she hadn’t moved so far away”

“I would have moved anywhere for you” he kissed her head then continued “Shawn already had a good job and home where he lived. It made sense. We’ll go drop in on them and make sure all is well. We were over due for a visit anyway”

Shawn’s headache had started to subside, but he was still in pain and it scared Kay to the point that she insisted they go to the hospital. “No, please, I’ll be fine.” He said.

“Shawn.”

“Please.”

She ran her fingers through his hair, trying to comfort him. “Why not?”

“I…” he looked so confused, “I don’t know, I just can’t.”

“Alright, we won’t go.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Can you at least tell me how it started?”

He nodded. “I was just sitting there working on my computer and then it was like everything just…I don’t know like I was suddenly overwhelmed by everything.”

“What do you mean?”

“Just everything, sound, light, smells, everything. My head felt like someone had hit me with a bat or something. I don’t know, I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.” He shook his head. “Hey, it’s going to be okay. Why don’t I help you to bed then make you something to eat.”

“I don’t think I could.”

“It might help.”

“Okay, I’ll try.”

She paused then asked a question she felt might be ill timed but she had to ask again “Shawn…have you really told me everything you remember? I mean…to still be having so many problems and for you still to be so against being looked at…are you scared of doctors now or” she stopped there, not sure of what else to suggest. He looked her in the eyes and she hated all the pain that dwelled within them “I love you Kay” he could see her disappointment “I love you too, I’m sorry, you don’t feel good and I’m pressuring you”

“No…it’s okay” she got up and offered her hand to help him off the couch. He took it but instead of walking he hugged her, repeating what he said before “I love you Kay” she pulled out of it and tugged him in the direction of their room “you should really lay down” He followed her, settling into their bed without protest. She left the room to see what they had in their kitchen.

Shawn didn’t realize he had dozed off until he jerked awake a few minutes later. He knew it hadn’t been long because Kay hadn’t returned and he could smell something cooking downstairs. He lay there in the darkness, his heart pounding in his chest. He hated he couldn’t remember anything but the flashes and nightmares. It was never anything truly coherent, but he knew something awful had happened, he could feel it. Every time she mentioned the hospital every part of his being tensed, forcing him to reject being examined. He could see she was suspicious and he didn’t blame her. The thought that he wasn’t him was terrifying. “Stop it.” He said it out loud. “You can’t think like that.”

Kay sighed as she cooked, her heart aching for Shawn, for how truly scared and distraught he obviously was. She wished she could read his mind like her uncle Eric, then maybe she could help him, but all she could do was speculate and none of it was good. She realized as she cooked that she had practically hung up on her mother and quickly grabbed her phone to call her back and apologize. “We’re on our way over honey.” Hannah said when she picked up.

“Mom, it’s fine, I think I was just overreacting.”

“You and I both know that isn’t true. We’ll be over soon and we’ll figure everything out then.”

She hated she had worried her parents so much. “Okay, love you, just stay safe.”

“we will, your father has only been in one accident in his life” Hannah smiled over at her husband Adam. No matter what the situation was it always brought at least a small smile to allude to the night Adam hit her with his car. It was what brought them together. If he hadn’t she may have been caught or worse, at least worse to her, she may have never met her husband and had this wonderful family with him. He looked a little embarrassed especially when she hung up with their daughter “may I remind you I manged to slow down to ten miles an hour before I hit you?” Hannah laughed then kissed his cheek “I thought the situation needed a little teasing in it. I’m so stressed”

“don’t be, we’ll figure this out. Shawn loves Kay, I know he does. I would have raised hell if he had tried to move her so far away if I didn’t feel like he’d do anything for her. If something has replaced Shawn we will find the real Shawn and if something is simply just wrong with Shawn we’ll figure that out. Maybe its more scientist crap. Maybe he’s so different because he’s not human any longer.”

“you mean like a wolf or vampire?”

“Yeah I mean, humans have been changed many times before”

“why would something change him then give him back”

“have you forgotten how crazy living forever makes some beings? Who knows”

Kay switched off the burners and plated the food then headed to their room to get Shawn. She was glad to see he was sleeping, but the moment she dropped down on the bed next to him, he woke, his eyes darting around before settling on her. “Kay? Is everything alright?”

“Yeah, food’s ready.” She brushed her fingers through his hair. “Do you want to come eat with me or do you want me to bring it to you?”

“I’ll come eat with you.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I want to.”

He pushed the blanket back and sat up, feeling a little dizzy. “You okay?”

“Just dizzy, but better than I was.” He pulled her into a hug. “Sorry for everything, for scaring you and just everything.”

“It’s okay, it’s not your fault.” She pulled back, giving him a smile. “Come on, let’s eat.”

He was getting more and more concerned that he was loseing her. She was saying everything was okay but he knew it wasn’t. He knew if he could just make himself go to the hospital she’d be more comfortable but he couldn’t. “when I’m feeling better can we do something together Kay? We haven’t really left the house except for groceries and work since I was abducted”

“Yeah…though, my parents are coming”

“oh”

“I’m sorry, I know we normally run these things by eachother” He kissed her hand “It’s okay” He looked so sad she felt even worse than she had this morning. This was Shawn, she decided right then and there this was Shawn and she was going to quit having doubts. She needed to be stronger about all this because he needed her to be the rock right now in their relationship. Once they were standing they hugged again, both struggling with their emotions.

“This looks really good.” Shawn said once they were sitting together in the kitchen. He still wasn’t hungry, but he took a bite anyway. He had always loved Kay’s cooking.

“Any good?” She asked.

“Very, thank you.”

“You know, if you want, we could go on a walk after. I can just text my mom and let her know.”

“Okay, sounds good.”

She reached over and took his hand, giving it a squeeze. “Everything’s going to be okay, Shawn. I love you.”

“I love you too, I really do, more than you know.” He cleaned his plate even though his stomach was in knots, not wanting to worry her anymore than he already had, then helped her clean up. They got ready to go out, Kay sending her mom a message to call if they showed up while they were gone.

“You ready, baby?” Kay asked.

“Yeah.”

They decided just to start walking down the road so they wouldn’t be too far away when her parents arrived. They shared a beautiful home in a large neighborhood. They could walk for at least twenty minutes before they were even out of it. It wasn’t so much that there were a lot of homes, there was just a lot of space between homes. When she had moved here for him this was their compromise. She wasn’t used to having close neighbors and he wasn’t really for country living but she was fine like this. Kay just needed to feel like she had some privacy.

“I’m really happy we’re doing this Kay”

“we shouldn’t stay locked up in our home and…well I shouldn’t be as distant as I get at times”

“I know you’re dealing with…well…me as best you can”

“Shawn I…I’m sorry.”

“Lets talk about something happy”

“Like what?”

“that new show you’ve been watching, tell me about whats going on”

“Well, it’s been sad.”

“I’m sorry, did one of your favorite characters die?”

“No, just the characters are going through a lot emotionally and the actors are so good it makes me cry.”

He actually cracked a smile. “Maybe I’ll have to start cuddling you while you watch it.”

She nudged him. “So mean.”

“I’ll be sure to bring the tissues.” They laughed together and in that moment everything felt normal. He pulled her closer and pressed a kiss to her temple. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” She continued talking about her show, happy that he seemed at least a little at ease, that he was actually smiling and looking happy, even if she could still see a lingering sadness. She knew that was her fault and she hoped she could make it up to him.

Shawn allowed himself to become fully engrossed in this conversation with Kay. It felt so normal, like they were getting back to where they were. It was when he started to notice a steady thudding sound that he realized something was wrong. It had been the same at work, like a dull thumping that became louder and louder and he could smell everything, the grass, the flowers, Kay’s shampoo. He stopped dead in his tracks and brought his hands up, trying to block out the sound. “Shawn? Baby are you okay?”

“It’s happening again, it’s so loud.” He tried to pinpoint it and realized it was coming from Kay.

“It’s okay, let’s get back home.” He looked so panicked and upset. “Come on.”

“no…I” all the noise was making it hard for him to talk, he couldn’t think over it. “It’s okay, we’ll walk another time. I wont be upset, I promise”

“I’m sorry” she tugged him back toward their home, her heart beating faster out of worry. They weren’t inside long when her parents showed up. They both heard them pull up in the driveway. “Why don’t you go lay back down. Make sure to refill your glass of water first”

“okay…I’ll come out when I feel a bit better” She kissed him “you don’t have to come back out tonight okay”

“I don’t want to be weird”

“You’re fine, someone kidnapped you and abused you Shawn. My parents will understand” He finally went over to the sink, refilled his water then went to their room to lay down until everything stopped being so loud.

Kay received a hug from her mother the moment she opened the door and she could tell she was relieved to find her safe. “I’m okay mom.” She let them in then hugged her dad.

“I know, I’m sorry we decided to come over uninvited, but the way you hung up worried me.”

“It’s okay, I’m actually really glad you’re here.”

“Where’s Shawn?” Her father asked.

“In bed.” She sighed. “He’s been having episodes.” They went and sat in the living room together, Hannah on one side of her and Adam on the other.

“What do you mean?” Hannah asked.

“He came home from work today saying he was sitting there and all of a sudden his senses were overwhelmed. It happened again while we were out. I’m scared and he’s scared and I just don’t know what to do. He doesn’t remember anything, but whatever happened to him must have been bad. He’s also picked up cooking, which I wouldn’t usually complain, but it’s not something he was good at.”

“Did you try getting him to go to the hospital?”

“He won’t go, he’s terrified.”

“If Eric were closer, we could get him to come over, he might be able to pick something up.” Adam said. He hated how worried his little girl looked.

“I couldn’t bother Uncle Eric as well…”

“You just want to know what’s going on with your husband, anybody would. I can ask him, it never hurts to ask.” Before she could protest any more Adam was already calling. Hannah now spoke “we’re all over due for a get together. You two don’t visit enough”

“Shawn just works so much”

“I know”

“How’s Meredith? We’ve only spoken on the phone once since she started college. I always feel like I’m going to call at a bad time”

“It’s an adjustment. High School was so easy for her she likes having a challenge”

“Gosh, we all need to see eachother more.” Adam was already off the phone “that was quick” Kay was the first to note. Adam responded with “he wanted to help just like I knew he would”

“well let me go up and talk to my husband. I don’t want to surprise him again”

Shawn was curled up under the blankets when Kay came in, her presence heralded by that same thumping sound. “Shawn?” She said it so softly as she crossed over to him and sat down. Her hand rested on his side and he pushed the blankets down.

“Hey beautiful.” He answered, his pain evident in his voice.

“Has it stopped?”

“No, I can hear something coming from you.”

“What do you mean?”

“Like…like a thumping sound.”

Kay brushed her fingers over his temple and let them run through his hair as she sat there and thought of what it could be. “Does it sound like a drum?” She asked as a thought dawned on her.

“Yeah.”

“Shawn, I think it’s my heart.”

He shook his head. “That’s…that’s crazy.”

“But it’s possible.” She bent down and kiss his cheek. “Eric’s coming over to help.”

“He is?”

“Yeah, maybe he’ll be able to pick something up from your thoughts. Is that okay?”

“Yeah, sorry, my head just hurts.”

“I wish I didn’t make it worse”

“You make it better too…I’d rather have you with me…the last thing I want is to alienate you Kay” His words held so much emotion she had to lean down and kiss him. Kay hugged Shawn gently as she said “I’m not going anywhere. I’m really sorry I haven’t been taking this better”

“I’m not who you married anymore…there’s something wrong with me”

“Not wrong, just something we need to learn how to handle”

“You really think I can get used to this”

“I’m sure you can, I’m even more sure there has got to be a way for you to control all this” He let out a shakey breath as he got up so he could give her a quick kiss “I really do love you Kay”

“I know you do, you don’t have to keep reminding me Shawn”

“I do, what if…”

“There’s no what if, Shawn, I’m not going anywhere and I’m sorry I made you think for a second I would. I love you so much and I we’re going to get through this.”

Shawn swallowed the lump forming in his throat as he nodded. “You should go visit with your parents.”

“Are you going to be okay without me?”

“Yeah, go ahead.”

“Call me if that changes.”

“I will.”

She gave him another kiss and waited until he had settled back into bed before leaving him to spend time with her parents. “How is he?” Hannah asked.

“His head hurts and he can apparently hear my heart beating.”

“That sounds like heightened senses.” Adam said.

“Do you know what could have caused it?”

“A lot of things. Vampires, werewolves, some sort of experiment, it could be anything. You said he doesn’t want to go to the hospital, could be the last one.”

Hannah nodded. “You know what happened to me, sweetie, those places are awful.”

“I hope he hasn’t been through something like that.”

“well if he has I can help him come to terms with it” Hannah said, even happier she had just come. They caught Kay up about their own life to help distract her as they waited on Eric. When Eric arrived he was alone so he explained “we were babysitting our grandchildren. Ivy is going to come along in a few days if I’m still here”

“Oh yeah Christopher and Shena are on that cruise” Adam said as Kays heart sunk “I’m so sorry” he waved her off “we see our grandchildren all the time. Plus Ivy can handle them on her own. She’s probably happy she doesn’t have to share with me now” he said with almost a chuckle. He looked around “where is Shawn?”

“resting, he was just laying down but he may have fallen asleep”

“thats fine, we’ll work on this in the morning then”

“Both the guests rooms are ready if everyone is tired”

“will you be able to rest honey? I’ll stay up” Hannah asked her daughter who answered “yeah, I’ll be fine, please, I’m so grateful you all came. Get rest” Kay waited until her parents and Uncle were settled before getting into bed herself. She wanted to text Ivy, to thank her and apologize at the same time but she didn’t want to wake the children if she had gotten them down.

Shawn woke the next morning, his headache gone, the only noise Kay’s soft breathing. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into him, burying his nose in her neck as she woke. “Shawn? You alright?”

“Yeah, just wanted to hold you.”

She wrapped her arms around him and ran her fingers through his hair. “How are you feeling?”

“Better. Is Eric here?”

“Yeah, but he wanted to let you sleep.” She kissed the top of his head. “Want to help me make breakfast?”

“Can we shower first?”

“Of course, baby.”

They got out of bed and grabbed clean clothes then jumped in the shower together. Most of their time was spent with Shawn kissing and cuddling Kay and Kay in turn getting him to smile and laugh as she teased him. He reveled in these normal moments and almost didn’t want to get out of the shower. Kay coaxed him into getting clean and then finally out of the shower, not wanting to leave her family without breakfast and knew they needed to work on finding out what was happening to him.

“Kay?” Shaw grabbed her hand as she went to open their bedroom door.

“Yeah?”

“If something bad happened, if I’m not Shawn…I…” He swallowed the lump in his throat and squeezed her hand. “If I’m not Shawn…”

“Hey, that’s enough of that.” She wrapped her arms around him and he clung tightly to her. “You’re Shawn, my Shawn, no matter what. Even if something awful happened, we’ll get through it, I promise.”