Dream Worlds Are Born

Story 613 ~ Addie & Magnus

Addie woke to the feeling of something brushing his cheek and grabbed onto the hand, his eyes snapping open, a glare already in them. “I told you to stop waking me like that.”

“I knocked, Addie, but you didn’t answer.” Magnus’s smile was infuriating and Addie shoved his hand away then sat up.

“Then leave me alone.”

“Breakfast is ready, you need to eat.”

“I’m not hungry.” Addie looked away from him and Magnus reached over, grabbing his chin and making him look into his eyes.

“Heroes should stay healthy.”

Addie jerked his chin away. “I’m not a hero anymore.”

Magnus sighed. “But you are my guest, so come and eat.” He leaned in closer, his smile widening. “Or perhaps you would like me to make you?”

Addie had to stop himself from striking Magnus, knowing it would only add fuel to the villains amusement. “Fine, I’ll get up.”

“Thank you, Addie, I’ll see you at the table.”

“Whatever.”

Magnus left him and Addie swallowed down the lump of anger and sadness in his throat. After everything, one mistake had landed him here with his former nemesis. He was sure Magnus was overjoyed at having to take care of a fallen hero and he hated it, but Magnus was the only one who had been willing to take him in.

Addie got himself together then went to the kitchen for breakfast. Magnus was waiting on him, that same smile on his face. As Addie sat he asked 'why do you wait on me most mornings?"

“I enjoy having someone to eat with” Addie took a bite, it tasted good as always. He completely trusted at this point none of the meals were laced with poison. Whatever Magnus’s reasons truly were he seemed to legitimately want him there. He started to think over breakfast he might should start adjusting to what his life was now instead of being so hostile. He was a fallen hero and wouldn’t have the respect of anybody ever again. It broke his heart all over again to think it so he tried to blank out his mind, to not think about anything but what he was doing.

“Any good?” Magnus asked.

“It’s fine, thank you.”

“Did I hear you correctly, Addie? Was that a thank you?”

“What if it was?” He couldn’t look at Magnus. He wasn’t used to this sort of thing.

“Then I must begin to question if I am truly awake.” He reached over and grabbed Addie’s chin, lifting his head. “You’re very welcome, Addie.”

Addie swallowed as he pulled his face away. “So what are you planning to do today?”

Magnus shrugged. “This and that. Perhaps you’d like to join me?”

“Join a villain while he tries to conquer the city? No thanks.”

“You wound me, Addie. Who said I was planning on doing anything bad?”

“You’re you.”

“That doesn’t mean I don’t take time off. Besides, I have you here now, so I don’t have time to be evil.”

“Sure.”

Magnus chuckled. “I mean it, you’re completely occupying my time. How about you find something for us to do, anything you want within my power.”

Addie hadn’t thought about doing anything but sulking in such a long time. Magnus guessed as much and simply enjoyed the look on his face. He hadn’t really noticed how attractive and cute Addie was until he became a fallen hero. He had always admired Addie and maybe some part of him had noted the attraction but the feelings of attraction hadn’t become apparent to him until Addie had moved in. “we could go to my spot…somewhere I used to find peace”

“Sounds fun, after breakfast?”

“sure”

“This will be fun Addie. You’ve just got to learn to trust me” Addie took another bite of food and they finished eating in silence. After they ate Magnus asked “are you ready to go to this spot?”

“yeah” Addie walked by him and Magnus followed, smiling again at how much smaller Addie was than him. He wanted to scoop him up and hold him close but not yet, maybe not ever.

“You know, I don’t think I’ve ever actually taken the time to explore outside of the city before.” Magnus said as he drove.

“Really?” Addie turned away from the passenger window to give him a questioning look. “That’s not very tactical for a villain.”

Magnus chuckled, shrugging. “I never had to fight you or anyone else in the countryside.”

“You’ve never even been hiking?”

“Not here and not since I fell into being a villain, but now that you’re here, I’m sure I’ll have plenty of other things to do.”

Addie huffed. “I’m sure and how do the men working for you feel about that?”

“They’re enjoying an extended vacation.”

“Extended? What do you mean extended?”

“I haven’t asked them to come in since you moved in.” He could tell Addie didn’t believe him and he couldn’t help but chuckle at his suspicious look. “I’m paying them too.”

I wanted to do more hero/villain things

1 Like

“I’ve been here so long though.”

“I’m not going to run out anytime soon. There’s a lot you don’t know about me Addie. I’m more than just some prick villain”

“but you do plan to go back to your old ways? I mean, you are still paying them to stick around”

“I’m not sure, right now I don’t have time for it but since I dont know what my future holds I’d rather keep the people I trust ready to help me again. If I don’t I can find other jobs for them if they wanted them”

“Other jobs doing what?” Magnus smiled, he had wondered up until now if they would ever have a conversation that was more than a few sentences between them. Addie had been such a prideful hero and Magnus hadn’t been sure he could ever bounce back from the loss of his status in the peoples eyes.

“Whatever jobs they have the skills for. I have many skilled and talented people working for me.”

“I did too.”

“I hear they went on to find work in other places.”

Addie crossed his arms. “Keeping tabs on them?”

Magnus shrugged. “I thought you would want to know. You aren’t happy?”

“It’s not that, I’m glad my name didn’t ruin them.”

“Then smile, Addie.”

“Turn off there.” Addie wanted to get away from the subject of his previous profession.

“I see, you’re getting me to drive you out into the middle of nowhere so you can get your revenge, right?”

“No, I’m not like that.”

“I know,” Magnus chuckled, “I was only teasing.” He reached over and rested a hand on Addie’s knee. “I feel honored that you would trust me enough to show me your favorite spot.”

There was a long pause before Addie pointed out “well you trusted me enough first to take me in and take care of me. Every now and then I think I pin point why but it still kind of defys logic since we were enemies”

“Maybe you’d call us enemies. It was fun fighting against you but I suppose I’m a demon. What’s nothing but fun to us is often seen very differently by other beings”

“are you missing your villain days?”

“Not at all” Magnus answered honestly. Addie wasn’t even sure how to respond to that so he simply kept giving Magnus directions. When they arrived Magnus could see why he liked this area “it’s nice and somehow, precisely where I’d imagine you going off to to be alone”

“really?”

Magnus nodded. “It’s just like you, wild, beautiful, yet so tranquil.”

“I’m neither wild nor beautiful.”

“Oh? A man who uses one of the most primal, most stunning forces on earth doesn’t think so?”

“You mean my electricity.”

Magnus chuckled. “You’ve never just sat and watched lightening strike? You can feel it in the air, the static building up and then it flashes so bright it’s blinding. That’s you Addie.”

“Magnus…”

“I mean it.” He smiled when they got out and Addie closed his eyes and breathed in the fresh air, enjoying the look of serenity that passed over his face. “You really love it out here don’t you?” He asked as he followed Addie.

“Yeah, I do, I can forget everything for just a little while.”

“Why forget?”

“Because remembering hurts.”

Magnus reached out and took his hand, causing Addie to look up at him. “Hurting is part of life, some of us hurt more or less than others, but it’s okay. You don’t have to hide that hurt from me.”

“I’m…I’m fine.” Why was he blushing? He didn’t understand why Magnus was being so kind and gentle. He was supposed to be the bad guy.

“You’re not, I can tell, so even though you hate me and I’m your enemy, you can still talk to me.”

Addie sighed, almost hating to admit what he was about to say out loud but he was going to stick with trying to be more grateful for the help “I wouldn’t say I hate you Magnus. I certainly get annoyed by you but I don’t hate you” Magnus smiled which Addie couldn’t make sense of since he had still called him annoying. Addie guided Magnus to a place here he liked to just sit, where he could truly just relax and enjoy this place/ Magnus simply sat, this was the least his old nemesis had spoken since he had come to depend on him. Addie thought “Is he waiting on me to talk about what happened?” Addie sighed “I’m not talking about that, not right now, I wanted to come here to enjoy it.” He continued to think to himself.

“You know, it’s actually pretty appropriate I became a villain.” Magnus finally said.

“Why do you say that?” Addie looked at him, his face questioning.

Magnus smiled. “Because I’m a demon. I’m a big, scary monster, the kind of creature that would sneak into your room and gobble you up.”

“But aren’t you only part demon?”

“True, but it’s in my blood.”

“Magnus, you’re not a monster.”

“I’m not?”

Addie shook his head. “No, I mean you’ve done a lot of illegal stuff, but you’ve never killed anyone.” He looked down. “Not like me.”

“Hey,” he reached over and gently grabbed Addie’s chin, turning his head, “if I’m not a monster, then you’re not a murderer.”

“Magnus…”

“So I am a monster then?”

“No.”

Magnus chuckled. “Then it’s settled.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“Doing what?”

“This, taking care of me, trying to make me feel better? Is it really just some weird demon thing or…or are you being genuine?”

“It’s because I want to, I enjoy having you around and I would have missed you.” He let his thumb brush Addie’s skin. “Things wouldn’t have been the same without you. There is no one like you, Addie.” He smiled warmly at him as he dropped his hand and looked out at the surrounding area. “It really is beautiful out here. Maybe we can visit more often.”

“ye yeah” Addie stuttered slightly, just taking Magnus in a few moments. He felt more of his defenses coming down and at the same time it made him feel a little worse for how hostile he had been with Magnus since he had been here. It was surprising how good those words felt to hear, that someone in this world would truly miss him if he wasn’t around. Addie looked away, turning his attention to the view. It had been much too long since he had come here which had probably contributed to his poor attitude. Addie was becoming so relaxed he began to get sleepy so he asked “are you ready to go home Magnus?”

Magnus grinned, he had probably noticed how tired he was getting, Magnus noticed everything. “Yeah, lets go. We’ll pick up some food on the way home” Magnus was a little disappointed they weren’t staying longer, partly because he enjoyed how relaxed Addie had been but if he had fallen asleep he could have carried him to the car and he was craving touching him more and more, even if was something as simple as carrying him.

Addie found himself relaxing as Magnus drove, not as tense or as worried as he had been. He even started to nod off, much to Magnus’s amusement. He was very nearly asleep when Magnus pulled into the parking lot of a Domino’s. “Pizza okay?”

“Yeah, you know I’ll eat whatever.”

“You mean I won’t have to man handle you into the kitchen?”

Addie felt his face warm. “You’ve never had to man handle me.”

“Almost, I thought I was going to have to toss you over my shoulder and force feed you the first couple of days. You thought I was going to poison you.”

“That was unfair of me, especially after you willingly took me in.” He gave Magnus a small smile. “I promise you won’t have to tie me up and force feed me.”

“Now I almost want you to resist.” He teased, chuckling when he got Addie to blush.

“Just…go get the pizza before I electrocute you.”

1 Like

Magnus was still chuckling as he stepped out of the car and gently closed the door. Addies heart was racing so he was glad for the alone time to calm from the teasing. Magnus really wasn’t that bad, in fact, he was starting to seem like a guy he would have loved to be around if he hadn’t been a hero and Magnus hadn’t been a villain. In any case the embarrassment had given him enough of a jolt to be alert the rest of the way. He knew this pizza place so he was aware they weren’t all that far from where he was living with Magnus.

Magnus came back with two large pizzas,a brownie and some breadsticks. “what should we watch while we eat?”

“I kind of feel like a documentary.”

“I noticed you added a few to my que”

“Are you interested in any of them?” In truth, Magnus would happily watch anything with Addie but he knew saying whatever you want could become annoying so he just picked one at random despite the fact he truly didn’t care. “I think one was about a passenger landing a plane. That sounds good”

“Okay”

When they got home, Addie took all the food to the coffee table and found the movie he wanted to watch while Magnus grabbed drinks and plates. “I decided to try something new, they had a chicken something and I thought it sounded good.” Magnus said as he dropped down next to Addie.

“I’m sure it’s fine. I’m not picky.”

“I know, you’re so easy.”

“I’m not.”

Magnus smiled and Addie got the movie started, wanting something else to focus on. Magnus gave a light chuckle and he felt embarrassed at his reaction. He grabbed a slice of pizza and took a bite, giving a little sigh. “No good?” Magnus asked.

“Hmm? No, it’s really good, sorry, good choice.”

“See, easy.” Magnus reached over and wiped some sauce off the corner of his mouth. “And messy.”

“I’m just hungry.” Magnus gave another chuckle and then settled into watching the documentary.

Between them one large was gone by the time the documentary was over and they had started in on the second “what should we watch now?”

“I mean, I technically picked that so it’s your turn”

“Hm, How about The Haunting at Hill House? A lot of people have been talking about it”

“I guess I’ve been too into sulking to hear anything. I honestly haven’t wanted to know anything about what people are talking about. Lets try it” Magnus found it on Netflix but decided to get them drinks before pressing play. Once they both had a glass of water they started, Magnus daring to sit a little closer to Addie when he settled into the couch. Addie didn’t react and Magnus took that as a good thing even though it would have been fun to make him blush again.

He found himself smiling when Addie suddenly tensed during a scary moment in the show and pulled his feet up, actually leaning into him. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” He sounded embarrassed and his face was red, but he wasn’t moving away. “Did you see that?”

Magnus chuckled. “Would you like me to hold you?”

“No.” He jumped. “I’m fine.”

“You’re scared.”

“I’m not.”

“My big, tough hero is actually scared.”

Addie glared at him. “Everyone gets scared.” He realized what he had just said and looked away. “Except for me, I’m not scared.”

“You don’t have to lie to me, it’s okay to admit you’re a little freaked out.” He moved his arm so it laid across Addie’s shoulders. “There, you can be scared of the show and the ghosts can be scared of me.”

1 Like

Addie had never done well with scary or unsettling movies and decided not to be too proud to accept the comfort Magnus was offering. As the episodes went on he unconsciously scooted closer to Magnus, causing Magnus to smile when they were completely against one another. It was incredibly tempting just to pull Addie in his lap but he knew that would be too much. When he woke up this morning he would have laughed if anybody would have told him they’d be sitting so close this evening so he’d take the amazing progress of the day.

Each episode was an hour so by the time they finished it all it had gotten late. “That was…crazy”

“I think it was really good”

“I meant crazy in a good way, wow” The inevitable happened, Addie stoodm causing Magnus’s heart to sink. If he hadn’t realized his desire for Addie to be his mate before the closeness of this evening, he knew it to his core now. He needed Addie and he hoped he could win him over completely.

They cleaned up their mess, Addie talking about some of his favorite moments from the show. Magnus wish he had a good excuse to keep Addie with him, but he didn’t want him to think he was propositioning him for some form of payment. It surprised him when Addie grabbed his arm and stopped him on the way to bed. They just stood there, Addie looking like he was trying to organize his thoughts and Magnus resisting the urge to pull him into his arms. “Um, I just wanted to say thank you for everything.”

“You don’t have to thank me, Addie.”

“I do, you’ve been more than patient. I’ve been a moody jerk, I’ve taken out my anger and sadness on you, but you’ve done everything to make sure I’m happy and comfortable. You didn’t have to take me in or take care of me.”

“Sure I did.” He reached up and brushed some of Addie’s hair back, letting his fingers run along his cheek before he dropped his hand. “I’m happy having you here.”