Dream Worlds Are Born

Story 615 ~ Zane Jr & Arthur 2

Zanr Jr soared through the air with his mate Arthur resting in his claws. They were days away from the village outside the castle they lived in. The couple was traveling so ZJ could show him a type of animal he had only just realized his mate had never seen. The moment ZJ realized it he had wanted to go and as always Arthur would follow him anywhere. It was always nice to get away just the two of them anyway. ZJ was flying low since he enjoyed the area, thats how he noticed a ruin that shouldn’t be there. He circled over it, confused. He had been with Arthur thirty years and it had only been fifty since he had been out this way. How had something so large been built, destroyed and overgrown in just that time?

It peaked ZJ’s curiosity enough he carefully landed, placing his mate down before shifting back into six foot, blue eyes blonde he was when he was human. Zane wasn’t always the best at setting his mate down without waking him so he was grateful that he had managed it this time. ZJ was starving due to how much he had been flying lately. He’d find some food, prepare it and then wake his mate to show him what they had stumbled upon. Zane had walked about thirty minuets away from his mate and was growing frustrated that he couldn’t find so much as a small animal or even a tree producing fruit.

He was contemplating going back to his mate and trying a different direction when a fist came into jarring contact with his face. He wasn’t phased, Zane pulled his sword out of it’s sheath, ready to fight. It was a wild looking woman. Her clothes were tattered and her hair looked like it hadn’t been brushed or washed properly in a year or more. Even the way she stood seemed barely human. Zane had to wonder if she had some sort of mental illness and an uncaring family that just dropped her somewhere to die and not be their problem anymore.

“what’re you doing here!” she yelled in Kumig. He groaned internally. He knew the language but he wouldn’t call himself a master at it by any means. This would have been hard to handle even if they both were fluent in the same thing. It took him a second, wanting to be as sure as possible he was saying what he meant to say “I’ve stopped here with my mate, he’s a ways back. I noticed the ruins and wanted to investigate. What’re you doing here?”

“Leave” she said almost emotionally, like she wanted to cry “Hey, if you’re in some sort of trouble we can help. My only stipulation is you don’t punch me again” He hoped he wouldn’t regret it as he sheaved his sword, trying to show her he wasn’t a threat incase he wasn’t even as good at this language as he thought he was. It was a mistake, she was a caster and sent a blue light through him which knocked Zane back into a tree. It hurt like hell, it felt like she had instantly bruised his organs. He groaned loudly and by the time the brightness of it had stopped blinding him she was gone “damn it”

He knelt down, holding his stomach. Just when he thought he was going to be fine he threw up. “damn it” he said again. He had no idea where she had gone and though most would think him crazy he wanted to find her again. She might actually be a little mad and if that was the case it would be cruel to let her die out here. She needed at least some form of help and however violent she was he wouldn’t leave her to die. He began walking back to his mate, wondering what Arthur would think about all this.

His mate was still soundly sleeping so he gently shook him awake, almost throwing up again from the movement. Arthur set up, looking concerned once his eyes focused “you look ill”

“I had quite the encounter while you rested” He explained why he left him and everything about the strange woman. “I mean, she’s obviously been through something terrible or she’s crazy. In either case I don’t want to leave her”

“take something at least to help your stomach heal from whatever she did” Arthur began digging through their bag and pulled out a vial, handing it to ZJ. ZJ downed it then laid down “at least I’m not hungry anymore”

“you probably are but now I don’t want to leave you alone to hunt down something myself”

“I’m a dragon Arthur. Worst case scenario I’ll shift again”

“we dont know what she is or what else is here”

“Arthur, don’t over worry. Find us some food while I let this medicine take affect. I will shift if I feel at all threatened. I just didn’t want to scare her before once I took her in. I mean, she looked so rough.” Arthur kissed his head “I wont be gone long” Arthur flew off and ZJ laid there, begging his innards to stop hurting. Arthur came back in ten minuets “you have to be kidding me. I can’t believe you found something that fast”

“Its just blueberries” Zane sat up, taking some “thank you”

“Next time we land in a weird place could you wake me please”

“I suppose. I was actually kind of proud of myself for not waking you”

“You must be getting more graceful with your landings”

“Are you implying I was never graceful?”

Arthur smiled as he leaned in, pausing a breath from Zane’s lips which caused him to blush. “Only in your landings my love, but in all other things you’re amazing.”

“Must you tease, I’m injured.”

“You know I can’t help myself.” He pressed a gentle kiss to Zane’s lips. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

They relaxed there for a little while longer, Arthur making sure Zane had enough to eat before helping him to his feet. “Are you sure you’re okay to go looking for her?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I feel a little sick to my stomach, but I’m okay.”

“Just don’t push yourself too hard, okay?”

ZJ smiled. “I promise.”

Arthur was a little apprehensive about hunting down a woman who had purposefully hurt his his husband twice but he knew Zane Jr was right. If she was mentally unstable or a victim it would be cruel to leave her out here. They didn’t know what she was going through and he had to admit himself he didn’t know if he’d sleep well at night for awhile, wondering what they had left this woman to. ZJ took his hand “You okay?” Arthur instantly asked, being pulled from his thoughts.

“yeah, you just had an uncomfortable look on your face. I’m sorry to ask you to help her but something was off and it’s just not in my families nature to ignore someone who needs help”

“Lets just hope she doesn’t have any magic better than what she already cast at you”

“I can’t imagine that bubble thing you do to people not working, thast what I’m banking on to talk to her if she continues to refuse”

“This place really is mysterious in general. As you said the timeline doesn’t make sense. Fifty years is a long time but there just isnt any way a group built this place and it got this overgrown and ruined in that time. I didn’t see it from the sky to know how big this was but the build alone, unless it was a bunch of incredibly powerful creatures”

“And she seemed, I don’t know, desperate and terrified. She hurt me, but didn’t want me dead.” He rubbed his abdomen.

“Are you thinking slavers?”

“I don’t know, but I hope not. You know how they treat their victims.” He gestured. “She went this way.”

Arthur laced their fingers. “Stay close, I can’t lose you.”

ZJ wanted to reassure him again, but decided to let Arthur fuss. It reminded him so much of how his father acted toward his mother that it sent warmth coursing through him. “This place feels so strange.” Zane said. “It’s like there’s something wrong with the entire area. It wasn’t like this before, but now…”

“It feels distorted.”

“Yeah.”

“Maybe this is here because someone was messing with magic they couldn’t actually handle.” They kept searching, not finding a trace of the woman who attacked ZJ or anybody else. “do you think I should fly above to investigate?” Zane Jr asked his mate who sighed, obviously thinking “yeah but I want to ride up on your back. We should continue to stay close” Zane smiled then walked to an area he had the space to shift. Arthur flew up, settling on his mates back. “alright” Arthur said to let ZJ know he could fly up. Zane felt lucky to have a way to see so much more area at once despite the risk of being so giant. While they could more easily spot things they were much more easily spotted by whatever villainous beings were around here.

The woman’s scent hit Zane’s nose as he swooped low over a patch of the forest. He rose into the air and twisted back around, doing another pass. He didn’t see her, but she had definitely been there. She had to know they were still there, especially with him flying around. He was sure if she really wanted them gone, then she might show herself and attack him again. “There.” Arthur yelled and pointed. Zane followed his finger and saw a flash of something moving through the woods. “I’m going to drop down, you head her off.” Zane nodded and moved as low as he could, slowing so Arthur could jump off his back.

Arthur touched down and started sprinting after the woman as Zane flew ahead of them and shifted in mid air, falling to the forest floor and rolling, coming to his feet and heading straight for the woman. He could hear her breathing and both hers and Arthur’s scents hit his nose as he got closer. “Stop.” He said when she came into view and she skidded off to the left, barely avoiding him as she headed further into the woods.

ZJ was about to catch her himself when One of Arthurs bubbles captured her, allowing them to catch up. She was fighting with all she could against it and they both felt bad. They didn’t want to scare her, all they wanted to do was help her. Zane tried to catch her attention and she eventually stopped fighting, tears streaming down her face. He carefull spoke her language again “Hey, I’ll have my mate let you go, you’re alright. We just want to talk to you, please, have a real conversation with me this time. I promise we just want to help you. If you’ll only explain we’ll help then be out of your hair forever if thats what you want”

She nodded and Zane looked over at Arthur who let her go. They were both relieved she didn’t run “see? We aren’t bad people, now whats going on with you? Theres obviously something wrong. This whole place is wrong”

“Why wont you just leave?”

“I’m stubborn and don’t know whats good for me, it runs in my family” she looked at the sky “If you’re here much longer you wont be able to leave…you’ll be stuck like me”

“well why are you stuck, do you know? If we can still leave now why can’t you?” He reminded himself to slow down, he was starting to speak much too fast in a language he wasn’t confident in. “because I lost my daughter seven years ago. We stayed the night here and once the moon and stars were alone in the sky this place changed. There will be monsters here, one even a dragon like yourself will fear. They took her and they’ll either take you or your mate. You aren’t the first and they always take one from every group. It seems they enjoy the pain, they want someone to know what happened. I wont leave without her, I’ll die like so many others have before I walk away. She’s an adult but she’s still my baby. Do you two have children?”

“No but we can understand that anyway. We’ll stay and we’ll help”

“You’ll come to regret it”

“I would regret leaving even more. My family never turns their backs on those who need help. Let them come, my mate and I are not afraid.”

“He’s right, we can’t just leave you, especially knowing this has been ongoing.” Arthur added.

“And if we have too, we’ll go and get my father and my uncle Irim. No one would be able to stand against them. They would be wiped from the face of the earth.”

She swallowed. “I just want my daughter.”

“Then we’ll get her back and we’ll make sure you can both leave. I promise.”

“Then I suggest keeping each other close and staying alert, they are much quicker than you think.”

Zane smiled. “I was trained by the best, trust me.”