Dream Worlds Are Born

Story 616 ~ Seker & Themis

“All you need to do is beat the other women for his affection and stab him with this once you’re completely alone.” Seker remembered the words of her Master as he handed her the sharp, enchanted blade. “Remember, he is a demon and can snap your neck before you can blink, you must be close, you must be fast.”

She stood there now, feeling slightly exposed in the outfit the Emperor’s handmaidens had chosen for her. It wasn’t that it was uncomfortable or that she was embarrassed, it was just it had been hard to find a place to hide the dagger. She had chosen her thigh after much deliberation. She looked down the line of women. Some of them looked excited, others nervous, and a few looked like they thought the world revolved around them, like they would easily entice the Emperor. Seker had to admit that there were many beautiful women here and if the Emperor cared only for one’s outward appearance then choosing a new wife should be easy.

She looked around the room, taking in the armed and armored guards, especially the woman standing to the right of the throne. She wore a pair of grappling gloves with metal on the knuckle. She was a pugilist and was probably much faster than the others. A voice pulled at her attention and she realized it was announcing the arrival of her target. Emperor Themis Orunmila came striding through the room, his eyes focused straight ahead and seeming not to notice the women. Then he paused in front of her, his nose flaring, his eyes locking with hers. Her heart jumped and for a moment she wondered if he knew, but he turned his gaze away and continued on to his throne.

Assassination is the best way to meet your future potential wife

It was odd to her a supposedly lecherous man paid so little mind to the scantily dressed women in the room. She had always had a mind of her own. Just because her master thought a certain thing didn’t make it true and it definitely struck her odd he had only stopped to look at her. Even as he sat he seemed disinterested beyond his occasional glance her way. She decided he could just have a very specific type and she could fit the bill. She didn’t want to kill an innocent man though so at the same time she now wanted some verification what her master thought of this emperor was true.

She tried to keep her eyes facing away from him as the man who had announced the Emperor began talking to her and the other women. He repeated what she had heard upon being chosen, that the Emperor was looking for a wife, that if they were lucky they would have the honor of marrying him. He even pointed out that those who were not chosen, wouldn’t leave empty handed. She could see Themis watching her out of the corner of her eye, but she acted like he wasn’t there. She had to act the part and get him alone. The man ended his speech by letting them know that today would be spent with them mingling and getting to know Themis. “We have prepared a large banquet for all of you as a way to celebrate our Emperor choosing a new wife. Please follow me and if you should have any questions, don’t be afraid to speak up. Your comfort is important to us.”

The man nodded to Themis and he nodded back. Seker knew what this really was. It was a way for them to weed out those they didn’t deem good enough for the Emperor. Seker wondered what his type was. She had been told he had an entire harem, so she guessed he was into those who could be easily broken. As the women started to shuffle out, she couldn’t help but look at him. He was speaking to the woman next to him and when they both looked at her, she shifted her gaze away. She told herself not to worry. If they knew, they would have done something by now.

Once the women had left the room his right hand woman said “I’m glad there’s actually a woman here you like so much. I was worried since you’re still healing from the loss of your wife.”

“Its almost not fair to do this when my heart still so belongs to my departed wife but maybe with her I can learn to love again. She actually stirred my heart when I saw her and I wasn’t sure it would ever be able to react to a woman again”

“Keep in mind Cora would be happy you’re doing this. Anyone who knows you knows you’ll always have a place in your heart for Cora but you can love again and that will be completely okay. Cora was not the kind of woman who would want you to spend your life alone”

“I’m just hoping the one woman I am interested in does have a desire to be with me. Didn’t she seem uncomfortable”

“if she’s here she’d have to want to be unless maybe she had pressure from her family. You can get to the bottom of that and even so you could probably get her to fall for you anyway” He almost laughed “thanks, I dont know how I’d do this without a friend like you. With the pressure I’ve gotten to chose a new wife I feel like nobody understands how much I loved Cora”

“It’s not that, people are just weird and expect the emperor to be married. They just think it makes you look weak”

“Nothing makes you stronger than love”

“Yes, say those things when you’re talking to that girl. Most girls love mush”

“I highly doubt she wants to talk about my departed wife”

“You never know”

“Tell me more of what you thought of her at first glance”

“She seems intelligent and she holds herself like a woman raised to fight which is definitely something I can respect. I really don’t see her as a woman here against her will or because of pressure from her family”

“There’s something about her scent though.”

She wagged her finger in front of his face. “It’s rude to smell a lady on the first date.”

He chuckled. “You know I can’t help it, instincts and all that.”

“I guess I can give you a pass then.” She rested a hand on his shoulder. “You can do this boss, just don’t make it too obvious. Pretend some of the others are interesting.”

“I have dated before.”

“You’re rusty so trust me.”

“Thank you, I’ll take it slow.”

“For now at least. A woman like that must have a wild side.”

“Oh?” since there were no outsiders around she hit him “pervert” Taenya said with a laugh. He chuckled with her and she was glad he could have even had a thought like that for a moment. She meant it when she told him she didn’t think Cora would want him alone, she had loved Themis too much. “I do hope she’s an adventurous sort of woman”

“You’ll get to know her soon” Themis excused himself before he followed the group of women in there and sat with the woman who had caught his eye. Taenya was right, even though she was here as a possible bride he shouldn’t show just how interested he was in her yet, it would make most women uncomfortable.

Seker moved among the women, a drink in her hand as she surveyed the room. She didn’t see Themis among them and she changed directions, heading over to the man who had brought them into this room. He smiled warmly at her when she approached and took her hand when she offered it. “Seker, right?” He said.

“Yes, and I didn’t catch your name.”

“Rhesus, ma’am.”

“May I ask where the Emperor is, Rhesus?” He released her hand and gave her a nod.

“He’ll be here soon. He asked that you all have time to get to know each other before he came in.” He gestured toward the other women. “You are competing, but you are not enemies.”

“I see, I hope my question wasn’t too forward.”

He chuckled. “Not at all, so please, enjoy yourself. Our home is your home.”