Dream Worlds Are Born

Story 636 ~ Darryl & Garret 2

Darryl stalked the fairy, his ears tuned into the young man’s heartbeat. He could smell the blood that flowed just beneath his skin and it made him hungry. He made his move and the fairy turned and it was Garret looking at him with horrified eyes. He couldn’t stop himself, couldn’t keep his fingers from tangling in Garret’s hair or his fangs from sinking into his throat. He begged himself to stop as that all too familiar taste washed over his tongue. He was killing him, he knew it, but he couldn’t stop.

“Darryl?” The voice broke through the terror. “Hey, Darryl wake up.” He snapped awake, his heart beating a million miles per hour as he tried to get away from Garret, but the fairy held onto him and pulled him back. “Easy, it’s okay.”

Darryl looked around then back at Garret, his hands coming up and framing his face. “Are you okay? I didn’t hurt you did I?” He checked his neck and wrists, even threw back the covers to check his body.

“Hey, I’m fine. You were having a nightmare.”

Darryl let out a sigh. “Damn it.”

“It’s okay.”

“It’s not, I woke you again.” He reached up and brushed Garret’s cheek. “I’m sorry.”

“I can call my parents and cancel the trip.”

“No, I want to meet your family, it’s just…all that fairy blood. I know it’s stupid.”

“It’s not.” Garret moved closer. “It’s okay to be scared.”

“I don’t deserve you.”

Fairies

“yes you do and one day, I hope you believe it. You’re an amazing mate” Darryls eyes dampened and he moved to kiss Garret, meeting their lips softly a few moments before saying “please though…if for some unforeseen reason I do lose control and start forcefully taking blood from someone in your family…promise you’d do what you need to to stop me”

“I can promise that, especially since I don’t see that happening. I know they say once an addict, always an addict but I know your love for me would never allow you to slip back into that and you could never cause me that kind of pain by hurting my family. The nightmares you have show that even more, it shows how much you worry”

Garret coaxed Darryl back down and they cuddled up to one another, the two pulling the blankets over themselves to get warm enough to rest a bit longer. Morning wasn’t far off but there wasn’t any reason to rush out of bed. Besides, Garret knew he had a better chance at calming Darryl if they were cuddling.

The sun peeking through the curtains woke Garret an hour later and he was relieved to see Darryl actually sleeping. He wished there was more he could do for him, a way to dull those bad memories. He pressed a kiss to his forehead and slipped slowly out of bed. They had to get on the road today, but that didn’t mean Darryl couldn’t sleep in or that he couldn’t make him breakfast. He knew Darryl would probably stress the whole drive, so he hoped maybe some good food and coffee would help. He settled on chicken fried steak and eggs with gravy and potatoes. It was what Darryl referred to as power food, a way to fuel his long work days. He got a pot of coffee going, then pulled all of the ingredients out.

Darryl woke to the smell of delicious food and coffee, blinking the sleep from his eyes as he sat up. Garret was gone and he couldn’t help but smile. His fairy was always taking care of him, helping him through all the stress and nightmares, through his doubts. He was lucky to have someone with so much faith in him. He got up quietly, moving silently through the house and to the kitchen where Garret was humming happily and cooking. He hugged him from behind, causing Garret to jump and nearly drop the spatula he was using.

“You scared the crap out of me.” Garret said, then gave a little laugh.

“You didn’t wake me, so pay back.”

“Well, I wanted to surprise you, but that nose of yours ratted me out.”

Darryl chuckled as he pressed a kiss to Garret’s cheek. “I could go back and pretend to sleep.”

1 Like

They laughed together again and just enjoyed one another until their food was ready. Garret was quickly rewarded for his efforts with the happiness of Darryl. He even seemed to moan a little here and there while he ate. Food was one of those magical, comforting things, even if cooking something good was a small gesture. Garret was grateful for a way to make him briefly relax. They faced the inevitable after they finished their food and tidied up the kitchen. The two packed their bags, loaded the car and set out on the road.

“It’s going to be alright.” Garret said when he noticed Darryl gripping the steering wheel.

“Garret…”

“Trust me.”

“I do, but the things I had to do…and just being with you, I’m always afraid that something is going to happen, that one day your scent is going to be too overwhelming and I’ll…”

“I’m not worried baby, not even a little. I trust you completely.”

Darryl swallowed. “Did you tell your family?”

“Yes.” A look of shame passed over Darryl’s face and Garret took his hand, giving it a squeeze. “Hey, I only told them you were an addict, nothing else.”

“Sorry, I shouldn’t assume.” The last thing he wanted anyone else to know was everything he had done for fairy blood. “When people find out…”

“I know, but even if you did drink my blood, I know you wouldn’t hurt me.”

“I wouldn’t.”

“I’m just saying, if you did, I trust you and I believe in you.”

That trust was enough to almost make Darryl cry and it meant the world to him. Garret was such a blessing and he hoped he could pull himself together and be a good boyfriend during this visit. He knew how close Garret was to his family so Darryl deeply wanted them to like him. He felt he was already in an uphill battle since they knew about his past. Few people were as forgiving as Garret but hopefully, over time, he could make them like him. This visit made him nervous but he wanted this to become the norm, Garret deserved that.

When they were an hour out, Darryl’s heart began to hammer in his chest again. He took a deep breath and Garret leaned over and kissed his cheek. “I’m okay.” Darryl said with a nervous chuckle.

“I know, I just felt like kissing you.” He sat back then pulled his phone out of his pocket and started texting.

“What are you doing?”

“Telling my parents we’ll be getting a room instead of staying there.”

“You don’t have to do that.” He started to reach for Garret’s phone and he batted his hand away.

“Hey, you’re a cop, pay attention to the road.” He teased.

“Garret, I can stay there.” He felt guilty that he was forcing Garret to change his plans. “You shouldn’t…”

“It’s okay to admit that you might need a break from my family.” He hit send and a minute later his phone vibrated. “See, they understand, so stop worrying.”

“Just like that…”

“Just like that, they’re easy and all about peoples comfort. They’d never push us or guilt us into staying the night”

“still, they must have been watching their phones”

“they’re excited, they miss me and they want to meet the man that makes me this happy” Darryl blushed and Garret grinned before reminding Darryl “I love you”

“I love you too” It honestly did help tremendously that he at least wouldn’t have to sleep there, that he would get breaks to calm from the nerves of hanging out with Garrets family. Garret kept Darryl talking the rest of the drive, knowing silence would just make him obsess. He talked about happy memories and brought up random stories about his family to help Darryl get to know them before they even arrived. It was always easier to meet people if you knew a bit about them beforehand.

Darryl’s heart skipped in his chest when he finally pulled onto the long paved road that lead up to Garret’s parents home. They owned a patch of land just outside of town where Garret’s mother grew plants that only bloomed at night. Garret said they had a huge garden filled with her creations. “It’s just your parents right?” He asked.

“For now yeah, but my aunt, uncle, and cousins plan on stopping by. If it’s too much I can…”

“It’s fine, please don’t change anymore plans because of me.”

“Just promise me you’ll say something if you get too overwhelmed. We can go back to the hotel and just be alone together.” He smiled at him. “I already got us a room, we can check in when we leave my parents.”

Garrets parents normally would already be rushing out the front door to greet him, he knew they heard the car. He guessed they were trying to give Darryl time and Garret was thankful for it. The two parked and approached the door. It only confirmed they were just trying to let Darryl approach them at his own speed when they near instantly answered the knock “Hey! we’re so happy you two made it safe” Garrets mother, Helle said warmly. “Please come in” His father, Håvard welcomed. The two walked in and Darrly awkwardly said “thanks for letting me come”

“we’ve been eager to meet you” Helle answered with a smile. “come sit down, we’ll get you two a drink” Håvard spoke again as he began to lead them to their couch. Garret and Darryl sat and they both soon had hot cups of tea to enjoy. “it must have been a smooth trip” Helle noted and Garret nodded “yeah, no bad traffic or anything”

“You have to see your mothers new additions to the garden” Håvard added.

“Would you like to come out with me tonight and see?” He asked Darryl.

“I’d love too.” He turned his attention to Helle. “Your son told me they only bloom at night, so I’m looking forward to it. How does that work anyway?”

“Lots of magic and lots of patience. I’ve also done quite a bit of crossbreeding, so some of the species are of my own creation.”

“That’s amazing.”

She smiled at him and he his heart gave a nervous little jump. “So, we wanted to thank you for protecting our little boy last year.” She said. “We heard about it on the news and then of course Garret told us everything. We can’t imagine how terrifying that must have been.”

“I was just doing my job.”

“It was weirdly the best thing that ever happened.” Garret said. “I wouldn’t have met you otherwise. I mean, I wish people hadn’t been hurt, but I was glad it was you they assigned to me.”

“Me too.”

“Still, without you, we might have lost him.” Havard said. “So, thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Mom, how about we give him a tour.”

Helle glanced at Darryl and he was sure she could tell he was still worried. “Why don’t you do it honey and we’ll make you boys something to eat. Besides, I think it’d be more special if it were just you. You two can also decide what you want to do while you’re here, before everyone else shows up. You know how Olive can be.”

Garret chuckled “yeah” Garret and Darryl walked off, Garret gently taking his mates hand to tug him around his childhood home. “am I doing okay?” Darryl asked quietly once they were in a different room “they like you, relax, everyone will love you and they all trust you completely and you deserve their trust. You really do” Darryl hugged Garret, he couldn’t resist it in that moment. Garret let Darryl determine how long the hug was and when his vampire finally let go Garret took him from room to room talking about his home and some of the items in it. He was once again using stories about his family to try to make him comfortable.

Darryl became more relaxed when they finally stepped outside and Garret lead him around to where Helle had her garden and green house. He took a deep breath, inhaling the sweet fragrance of the flowers. “Feeling better?” Garret asked.

“Yeah, much better, thank you.” He looked around them. “This is amazing.”

“Just wait till night, they’re even more beautiful.” He pulled him. “I’ll give you a little taste of my mom’s work.” Darryl followed him over to the greenhouse and noticed for the first time that all the windows were blacked out.

“Why’d she do that?”

“Sunlight will kill her flowers, they’re very sensitive.” He opened the door and pulled Darryl inside then closed it again.

Darryl stopped dead in his tracks at the pots of still growing plants. Some of them already had flowers and their petals were open, actually glowing in the darkness. “Wow.”