Dream Worlds Are Born

The Toll by Cherie Priest: Chapter 1 - 5

:ghost:

“No. We’re not lost. We’re just coming at the park from the wrong direction. The main entrance is on the east side, and we’re coming from the west. If we’d gone down to Jacksonville first, this would’ve been easier.” “I told you, I don’t want to go to Jacksonville.” “Yeah, so we didn’t.” He’d never met anybody who went to such great lengths to avoid her own perfectly nice mother.

Priest, Cherie. The Toll (p. 20). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Honestly, I’ve never met anybody who avoided a parent for genuinely no reason. There’s just a reason they haven’t shared yet and maybe never will but it’s always safe to assume, no matter how nice the parent seems there’s a reason there.

“You’d like that, wouldn’t you?” He knew it was a dumb thing to say, even as it flew out of his mouth. Now he was stuck, halfway between wanting to bail before things got worse, and wanting to punish her with a week of swamp-swimming for being such a pain in the ass.

Priest, Cherie. The Toll (p. 24). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

This is a terrible start to a marriage…I feel like if I knew them as people they’d be one of those couples I’d be inwardly screaming “dont get married!” about.

Just finished chapter two and all I’m thinking is wtf is happening lol

He hit up a back table, a small one that would’ve sat two people if one of them was a toddler. It was his table, if you asked Cameron. It was the kiddie table, if you asked anybody else.

Priest, Cherie. The Toll (p. 41). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Aw

“Hey Jess,” he said brightly, waving a little too cheerfully for anyone’s comfort, much less his own.

Priest, Cherie. The Toll (p. 42). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Poor sweetie

Chapter 4

“What he really meant was, At least she isn’t hurt. Not that she couldn’t be hurt without bleeding, but it felt like a good sign. It dialed his panic down from eleven to maybe a nine. Still plenty of panic to go around, but at least he had some semi-concrete sign that she wasn’t hurt or dead.”

Priest, Cherie. The Toll (p. 51). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

I love the way the author put that “Still plenty of panic to go around” lol

He tucked it into his back pocket. Still no cars. Still no sound of a human being, and no matter how hard he looked, there was no sign of the bridge, either.

Priest, Cherie. The Toll (p. 53). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Maybe the bridge was an illusion

“Melanie!” He screamed her name as loud as he could, again and again, until the last syllable scratched his throat like a nail.

Priest, Cherie. The Toll (p. 54). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

:worried:

before they’d been ensnared on the bridge (“ensnared” was another anxiety-prompting word, but that’s what sprang to mind),

Priest, Cherie. The Toll (p. 54). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

I feel thats a perfect description for what that bridge did. If there was any bridge.

He still hadn’t seen another car. He tried to laugh about it, but he couldn’t even scare up a smile. “Everybody’s been raptured but me.” Nope. Still not funny.

Priest, Cherie. The Toll (p. 56). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Lol I think this author is going to be a new favorite

Chapter 5

The hospital in Forto was small but clean, and not terribly busy. On the way through the ER lobby Titus passed two kids with sniffles, one guy who was holding a bloody towel wrapped around his arm, and several old people who were watching the TV in the corner. The old folks weren’t in any obvious distress. Maybe they were waiting on somebody. Maybe they didn’t have a TV at home.

Priest, Cherie. The Toll (p. 65). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Emergency room lobbies are swimming in germs. I don’t think anybody wants to watch tv that badly.

Titus took it, even though he didn’t want it. It was warm and distracting and it smelled good. It gave him something to do with his hands.

Priest, Cherie. The Toll (p. 66). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Lol, legitimately I drink like 5 times the amount of liquid I would normally when people are with me. It gives me something to do when I feel awkward or am desperately trying to figure out the next thing to talk about.

Just finished chapter five, It’s keeping me super interested so far. It’s really the perfect book to get me reading again.